Sunday, November 11, 2007

I love you Grandma

My grandma passed away this morning at 2.15 am. She died of cancer.

I just needed someplace to write this. My grandma was a very kind person. Even up to yesterday, on the hospital bed she was asking questions about us, about our well-being, showing the level of concern for others that really made her special.

When I was younger, during primary school days, I would stay at her house when both my parents were working. From what I remember, I always liked it there. I loved staying there, because my grandma and aunt were such warm-hearted, caring people. Back then, she was always talking to me in Hokkien, and I was always unable to reply because my dialect was so poor.

There was a sense of urgency in her yesterday. She wanted everything to be just right, and she commented on everything around her. Her blanket had to be covering her feet, which were already cold, but not all the way. The table had to be shifted to the right position. A box of tissues had to be placed next to her. We put one on both sides just to be sure. :)

She was admitted more than 2 weeks ago. She had complained about her swelling foot. Who knew that it was a symptom of cancer? But other signs were there. She was already barely eating food for some time, due to the tumour in her stomach. By the time the pain starts, it's already too late.

The Lord works in mysterious ways. I was praying for her sustenance, at least long enough for my aunt from Sydney to arrive, but when her condition became critical yesterday we all feared the worst. My mother told me that she went peacefully, while we were asleep.

God bless you Grandma, you are surely in a better place now.

No comments: